Sunday, April 27, 2014

Tessellating Scales Design

I finally bought some food-grade pourable silicone for some of my projects. In the next few weeks I'll hopefully be milling, prepping, and pouring my designs.

Below is a tessellating scales design I put together. It will become a mold for making chocolate bars. The scales can be individually filled with colored candy melts and then the chocolate will be poured to fill the rest of the mold and create the bar. To streamline the multi-color candy melt pour, I think I will use these silicone squeeze tubes, keeping them warm in a warm water bath.

The design is available here as a pdf.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014


Not too much to post recently, so here's my desk. This is the second desk I've built this year. It isn't anything fancy, but it is fairly sturdy and quite practical. I tried to keep the total cost down so I built it with 2x4s and OSB which are fairly cheap materials. I finished the top layer with some Polycrylic.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014


I finally finished a sewing project, and it didn't turn out completely lopsided or otherwise messed up! As my first few sewing projects have been humbling experiences, I've scaled back my immediate sewing goals quite a bit. The result is pictured below. It is a t-shirt for my boyfriend. I had (and still have most of) an old bed set made of a jersey 50/50 cotton/polyester blend. I used a pillowcase from the set for the front and back pieces of the shirt. The pattern was just eyeballed and loosely marked with tape based on a t-shirt from his wardrobe. I did a simple kind of hem style, and made it 'inside-out' to add some visual flair (after I sewed it, I carefully clipped the edge of the fabric to give it a clean, even look). Tomorrow I'm taking the machine apart again to do the reverse-engineering project I described in the previous post. We'll see how that goes...I'm feeling a little hopeful.