Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Holiday Gifts and Files

I'd like to finally make good on my promise to myself to learn 3D design tools. I spent all night trying my hand at Blender. I won't let myself be discouraged by the steep learning curve. But to make myself feel a bit better, here's a long overdue post: more laser cutter projects I made for the holidays.

Gorillaz - stained and painted laser etched plywood
Here is the vector art I created in pdf format.


Samus - stained and painted laser etched wood
Here is the vector art I created in pdf format.


Knit Wood - stained and painted laser etched plywood
Here is the vector art I created in pdf format.




Magnolia Card Set - paper mod podge
I made a total of 13 of these. Easy, fun project.
Here is the vector art I created in pdf format.
The original was a very low res gif online.


Map of Wisconsin with an error - painted plywood
Lakes and rivers are represented, as well as state lines
By mistake, I painted part of Minnesota underwater...
This is also a simple application of the Four Color Theorem
Here is the vector art I created in pdf format.



16-hex anisohedral tiles - painted plywood
Joseph Myers runs a program to discover interesting tilings like these.
He also provides PDFs to all the tilings directly from that link.
To sum it up in one line: 10 of these tiles create a pattern that can be simply repeated by rotation and translation (no holes allowed)
With 20 tiles, you need only translate the group to tile the plane.
Here's the direct link to the download from Myers' page (compressed archive, pdf inside)
I added some extra engraving to pattern the tiles for visual effect.


No comments:

Post a Comment