Sunday, February 22, 2009

Solar Powered iPod Redux

Here is an older project of mine to set this blog in motion.



Summary of parts:
I am using the little printed circuit board that came with the garden light that came with the solar panel. It does what I need and was easy to hook up so I haven't bothered diagramming it. If I was a more dedicated person, I'd figure out the layout and share it online. But, I am not!

New iPods are more finicky than old iPods! Older iPods only need the input and the ground (+ and -, red and black, whatever). Many (storebought or homemade) cheap/old chargers work like this. They won't charge your new iPods though! New iPods (like my 80GB Classic) need their data lines hooked up too (the green and white ones if your cable is colored according to standards). Follow this diagram (which I found here).



Technically, I am supposed to use a 5v regulator (like the 7805). But when I hooked it up, I was only getting like 4.18v to my iPod across the + and - terminals. I took it out and I'm getting 5.09v (.09 too many) but I don't think my iPod is hurting too badly.

Other notes:
Rechargeable (as opposed to regular) AA batteries are 1.2v, not 1.5v. Four of those arranged in series supposedly make 4.8v, but I get 5.09 volts out for some reason. Works for me though!

Anyway guys I think this is pretty sweet! Sunlight streams into my device and at the other end I hear music.

Epilogue: Later, while attempting to add an LED to the mix, two wires touched and I shorted something on the circuit board by mistake, having once again forgotten to remove the batteries before soldering. I believe it was either the PNP or NPN transistor...but when I looked into replacing them I realized the circuit board had taken too much abuse already, and was falling apart. I plan to figure out (or find somebody who can figure out) how it worked and build a replacement someday.

1 comment:



  1. When you blog about something that you are passionate of, the rest will just follow. You spend time on it because you love doing it, your contents are great because it is of interest to you, etc. The point is you blog for your own personal gratification.
    4 Wire Resistive Touch Screen

    ReplyDelete